Monday, March 15, 2010

Our Journey through Ear tubes and tonselectamony Surgery

With kids you have to be prepared for anything.It seems that whenever kids are involved  there is NEVER a dull moment!, As most you know I'm the full time care- taker of 2 adorable little girls, ages 5 and 18 months! Like most kids , they both had been fighting colds/ear infections and anything else that's been going around during this what seems to be bad flu season.
 We have tried to keep them in and away from any bugs  but we cant keep them in a bubble and with both parents working and Ryann in preschool 3 mornings a week and Zach ( older brother) in full time school odds are they're  going to catch something because I'm sure between the 4 of them there constantly bringing stuff home! It has seemed to be an extra worse year for things like RSV and different  things like that.
All 3 kids are RSV babies and it seem like once you've had it your chances of getting sick are higher!
Both Girls have been sick a LOT this year and there for a while they were both constantly in and out of the doctors  office and Lakyn spent a good month to 2 months on antibiotics  just trying to get over sinus infection after sinus infection and ear infection after eat infection! I actually quite going to home school group because of her.  Neither Jami or I wanted her in the nursery  being exposed to other bugs, he even stopped bringing her to the nursery  at our church and I don't remember the last time that they have been there for class!
They'll come to worship but she's even nervous about that, which, I don't blame her!  She had been fighting with the ENT here in Garden about getting ear tubes for Lakyn and redoing  for Ryann, But he just kept refusing  saying it wasn't necessary! Jami ( who is a nurse) was about sick of fighting with him and we were both besides our selves after having sick kids for like the last 3 months, we knew something had be done! After about another month of fighting with the ENT here, she decided to try one in Lakin, who she had heard great things about. She really liked her and after just one appointment  the ENT  was like yeah they need ear tubes and Ryann needs her tonsils and adenoids out. 
She planned to have it all done on one day to just get it done and not drag it out any longer then it needed to be! We were both about sick of the whole mess anyway!
The Surgery was planned for sometime during that first week of March  ( whatever that first Tuesday was)
they went into surgery around 8:30 Tuesday morning. Jami texted  me around 11 or so to tell me both girls had made it outta surgery okay! Lakyn was doing great, Her's  was just Ear tubes and she breezed right through no problem! Ryann on the other hand was a different  story! Surgery went okay, but recovery was a little rough, She was really out of it and the pain medicine  they gave her made her REALLY SICK to her stomach, which, Jami told them it would but would they listen..No of course not. So within an hour after just getting her tonsils  and adenoids out and having pretty major throat surgery she was throwing up and coughing  REALLY BAD! I can't even imagine, my heart just cringed for her!
She texted me again around 3 or so to tell me that Lakyn had gone home with Grandpa and was doing great but sleeping a lot and they still didn't know if Ryann was going to get to come home since recovery was so rough! They ended up letting her come home but they told her had she not been a nurse they would of not released her. Jami was hoping to be able to go back to work Wednesday, but texted me Tuesday night saying that Ry was REALLY sick and not doing well at all, wouldn't eat and barely  would drink so she would go ahead and stay home with her that next day, Which I was glad to hear  she was, not because I didn't want them but because Ry needed her mommy right now!

I texted her Wed morning to see how she was, At this point she was doing okay...a little better anyway but still not that great!
we went and saw her wed afternoon for a little bit and I was not prepared for how bad she looked! It broke my heart to see her like that! When we got there, Jami brought her out for just a min but you could tell she was not up for company! She couldn't really talk and her face was still pretty swollen from surgery and her mouth was still VERY swollen and she just laid  there. Like I said it broke my heart! Pretty sure she was running a pretty good low grade at this point 2 she felt pretty warm when I kissed her before we left!
 They of course weren't at church, but I talked to her Grandma who said she was doing and acting a little better! she had really perked up that evening and even ate a little, and had some color again!!
Since she was doing a little better, Jami decided to try to go back to work Thursday!
Ry still didn't feel like going anywhere or getting dressed for that matter so I went over there Thursday morning and stayed with them all day! Ry was acting a little better and even got up for a little bit and played her DS  with me and we watched TV at the breakfast bar and she looked pretty good but still kinda swollen and pretty pale and I think I only heard like maybe MAYBE 10 words out of her all day!

I think it hurt to talk and she really didn't have a voice so that was interesting  trying to communicate with her LOL. She still really didn't want to drink or eat, what little she drank was me forcing her to every 20 mints or so and even then it was just a sip, 2 if  I  was lucky! LOL, and she pretty much refused to eat, I got like  3 bites of Popsicle down her, if that! That was about the extent of what she had all day!
Around 11 or so she started acting a little "off" She was sitting there at the breakfast bar and she all the sudden got really pale and just not acting quite right, It was almost like talking to a ghost when I would talk to her, She was looking at me but she wasn't looking at me! It was like she was looking right through me! Talk about a scary feeling! I made her go lay down, at first she refused, I made her take a drink which she kinda did and next thing I know she gets up and goes and lays down on Jami's bad on her own, since the baby was sleeping I went and laid down with her for a little bit,  I bet you she was out within 2 minutes of her head hitting that pillow! I laid with her a few more minutes, then the phone rang, It was Jami checking on Ryann
I told her what was going on and she had me check her temp, She was running around a 99 almost 100. We were both a little concerned about it and especially after I told her how she was acting!
She came home to check on her and after seeing her decided she needed to be checked out!
She made her appointment for around 2:30, She woke her up to tell her and this and at this point she was acting really "off", she sat up looked at Jami, grabbed the remote and started frantically pushing 45..45..45 but pointing it at the window, not the TV, her eyes were doing weird things to, then she just laid down and was pretty much out before her head hit the pillow again! Jami decided to go back to work tell her doctor app, I was just to watch her close and make sure nothing changed! The baby woke up and I fed and changed her and went and checked on Ry again! I woke her up and made her take a drink , pretty sure she doesn't remember any of this!  she went back to sleep and I played with the baby till a little b4 2:30 when I woke her back up and brushed her hair, made her drink. She just sat there, staring off into space, not really caring what I was doing. I was glad that Jami had made her an appointment! Daddy came and got her and I stayed with the baby! Around 4 or so I still hadn't heard from Jami and I was beside my self at this point. Grandpa came and got the baby and I went home! I went and ahead and texted Jami to so see what was going on and what they knew at this point, At this point they were waiting on labs..I told her to keep me posted!
Around 530 ish, she texted me saying that they were going to go ahead and admit Ryann for SEVERE dehydration! They were going to pump her full of fluids and watch her close and hopefully be released sometime the next day!!
At this point I was beside my self with worry and a little bit of an emotional basket case, it had been a long week and I was going on very little sleep between being back and fourth between their house and mine all week! I hated to hear she was getting admitted  but also wasn't that surprised after how bad she looked before her doctor appointment! I tried to keep my self occupied and try not to worry or let my self get stressed out ( easier said then done) We went up to the hospital around 8:15 or so! At this point she had been on IV's for about 4 hours and now and just in the last 30 minutes before we got there, she had kinda perked up and was looking and acting a LOT better! I couldn't believe the difference!!! I was like WOW! it was almost like relief and a weight had been lifted! She was sitting up, had some color again, was drinking on some slushy and even smiled, I hadn't got to see that smile for 2 LONG days and it was relief to see it again! She was talking a little bit but still not very much! Her cousins Cole and Dalana were there also! We didn't stay long because we didn't want to overwhelm her, but it did my heart good to see her doing so much better! We had one VERY dehydrated child and the IV's were making the world of difference!!!!

Jami of course stayed with her that night and Mr Jamie went and  stayed with the other 2 kids, since he had to take Zach to school the next morning, he had me come up to the house around 8:15 or so to take the baby off his hands so he could get Zach to school. I Got the baby fed and dressed and at this point I hadn't been home pretty much ALL week except to sleep lol so I took the baby over to my house for a little bit that morning. Around 11 or so Lakyn started getting sleepy and since the plan at this point was for Ry -Ry to get dismissed around noon or so I went and grabbed something quick for lunch and went back over their house and laid her down so I wouldn't have to wake her when I had to meet Jami over their anyway!
She ended up getting dismissed around 12:45 or so, and got back to the house around 1, it was like a completely different child that walked it! She was smiling and somewhat talking and had color again!!
She looked really good!. I finally got brave and looked in her mouth, Jami warned me it was bad lol
It looked better then it did 2 days ago but it was still REALLY swollen and had 2 black/redish spots were the tonsils had been, but it looked better!

Back the pain medicine issue, The kind they gave her had coating in it so it knocked her out cold! LOL
We noticed that she was like refusing to take her medicine  and wouldn't tell us when she was in pain.
We could tell she was in pain and didn't want to swallow or drink so her mouth had gotten really dry but she also had like this very thick mucus type gunk that she didn't want to swallow and had to force her to spit it out ( sounds gross I know, but this is what this poor girl was dealing with) we'll we figured out that there was 2 kinds of this medicine, one had alcohol, the other didn't, we'll come to find out the kind they gave her had the alcohol in it and it stung REALLY bad when she'd take it, therefore making her not want to take it and not telling us when she was in pain, so the pain would get way out of hand, which made her not want to drink or eat because of being in so much pain! It was a vicious cycle and had we found out about this sooner we could of got her the other stuff and wouldn't of had the major ordeal of the sever dehydration and hospital stay! Jami was a little ticked  ( which is to be expected after what they went through because of it)
Luckily they figured it out at the hospital and got her the other stuff, which is why she was doing SO much better Friday is because she was now willing to take her medicine , and drink and I even got 2 Popsicle down her, Still not near enough but MUCH improvement from the day before! It was still a fight to get her to drink and it was PUSH PUSH PUSH on my end but we had her drinking again!! She still didn't have much energy and laid down a lot and didn't really do a lot but it was just good to see her acting more her self!!
The following Monday she was back at school!!!! She was going nuts from being in the house pretty much all the last week, so Jami decided to let her try and go to school! She did great!, We made her lay down that afternoon though, Oh my word you would of thought the world was coming to an end LOL. She needed it though and you could tell she felt better when she got up!. She is now pretty much back to her old self and bouncing around like nothing ever happened! which is such a relief to see after the struggle we went through after surgery.

 This is just one of the many adventures I'm sure I'll go through during this journey of Baby sitting! I love every minute of it and can't wait to see what each week holds! I got an unexpected day off today and I"m trying to enjoy it, but the truth is I'm lost and unsettled when I don't have them! We have had them for for about a year now, and when you have them day, after day you kinda get attached!! It has been a great learning experience and I'm one of the few teens that will have probably seen it all before I become a mom my self,in fact  I'm pretty sure I have seen it all or pretty close to if it not!

I have done a lot of baby sitting in my 17 years of life and I have loved every min of it!!
I was the full time baby sitter to 6 amazing kids before we moved from St john and still am their baby sitter but I have become more then that to these kids, I am a big sister and I love that!

I cant wait so see what the future holds!!
Coloring with her cousin Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment